Wednesday 17 April 2013

Here's A Real Conundrum

This summer I have a huge decision to make. In short it is this: leave York or stay in York.

Do I leave the comfort of the North and try to make my way in the big city of London, or do I stay where I am and keep saving money in hopes that one day I may build up the courage to leave.

The answer is simple really, I mean I have to go. What's keeping me here? Apart from a job and a girlfriend, nothing. The job I have is only casual part-time, easy but hardly a career. And I love my girlfriend, but I'm not at a stage where I'm willing to let life-changing decisions be decided by love.

I can move to the big city, fall onto a West End stage, earn enough to support myself while still managing to visit York on alternate weekends. Get myself a nice flat, overlooking Hyde Park, go to drama school, make a name for myself.. well if I can't dream what can I do?

I can stay in York. Find a cheap house share, maybe a flat, work as much as I can, act as much as I can, save money and move to London the year after? Or maybe the year after that. Or if I'm starting to save a lot, why not stay one more year and increase my safety net. And then I'm 30 and still working behind a bar for a casual part-time wage while saving small amounts of money which I'm slowly spending on drink as I begin to realise that I'll never bloody leave..

A sad state of affairs, I'm sure you'll agree. I mean obviously I doubt that would actually happen. If I did stay in York for another year, it would be only one more year. 5 years in one place would fit my current record.. although I have to wonder what will happen when I'm moving countries every few days.

So. Anyone moving to London this summer? Because I'd quite like to not go down alone..

No comments:

Post a Comment